Tuesday, May 09, 2006

Back Seat Ponderings

Mom, do donkeys ever get sick?

I was just driving to the grocery store, feeling the warmth on my head thru the sun roof, when Truman piped up out of nowhere with this question. 'huh?" I said. " Do donkeys ever get sick? " I had to answer him, explaining that donkeys probably get sick, but I've never really seen a sick one. All I wanted to say was " what in the world made you think of that?" So I did. He explained in a very matter of fact way that he just thought that if there are animal doctors called vets, (which he learned about on Animal Planet yesterday), then animals must get sick, so he wondered if donkeys were one of those animals.

I find it so refreshing that kids verbalize the bizarre questions that run through their heads, never stopping to think that they might sound goofy asking them out loud. Can you imagine what would happen if we removed the logical filter that prohibits our random thoughts from flying out of our mouths? My husband probably wishes I had a little tighter fit on mine sometimes. How freeing would it be to let the crazy questions fly?

Okay, no joke, as I am writing this Truman is playing G.I. Joes at my feet. He just looked up and said " do all snakes swim?" I'm wrapping this up to go on-line and find out.

8 Comments:

Blogger jen strauss said...

That made me chuckle.
As you know I don't have kids yet, but I do have a husband who has a “kid size” filter.
So I must admit I have grown quite accustom to the random questions.
One of my favorites is,
“Do shrimp have ears?”
That’s my boy.
Imagine what our kids will ask!

12:36 PM  
Blogger meredith sinclair said...

Sounds like Truman, Max and Brian are gonna have some great conversstions in Hawaii!
Let's send em' to the kid pool to lead a discussion on the true questions of life, like what Tru asked Jon this weekend..."what IS the difference between boogers, and snot?"
Oh Golly, I need a girl.

7:26 PM  
Blogger meredith sinclair said...

Oh! By the way, we did go on-line and I found out that NOT all snakes swim, they are all perfectly adapted to their particular environments...just in case Brian ever asks.

7:30 PM  
Blogger Tara said...

HAHA, HILLARIOUS!! I just joined a mom map on frappr and saw your shout out... SO I am coming to say hello!!

5:23 PM  
Blogger meredith sinclair said...

Hi Tara,
thanks for the chuckle. Glad to see my humor touches someone else besides my good friends!
are you a blogger too?
blog-moms unite!

3:02 PM  
Blogger meredith sinclair said...

Hi Tara,
thanks for the chuckle. Glad to see my humor touches someone else besides my good friends!
are you a blogger too?
blog-moms unite!

3:02 PM  
Blogger Beading Help Web Editorial Team said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

8:36 PM  
Blogger Beading Help Web Editorial Team said...

"Can you imagine what would happen if we removed the logical filter that prohibits our random thoughts from flying out of our mouths? My husband probably wishes I had a little tighter fit on mine sometimes."

LOL, your entire post made me laugh, but that line had me roaring. City-girl me asked farm-boy hubby once if cows got bored. I really wanted to know! Some days, I think his eyes are going to get stuck in the back of his head.

Yes, donkeys do get sick. We raise horses and have had a donkey or two. Vets make a lot of money making house calls for sick donkeys and horses. :-)

Lynn

8:40 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home