Wednesday, May 17, 2006

breakfast in bed....again!!

Mothers Day.
It's a holiday that jewelry stores, florists and card shops love. I've heard some moms say they think it's over hyped and what they really want is a trip to the spa, and the day to themselves. Now, I love a good massage as much as the next chick, but I've realized that Mothers Day means way more to my kids than to me. To them, Mothers day is a their big chance to say "waa hoo mom!, you rock and we know it!"
In my house Mothers Day is beautifully predictable. Max and Tru sneak into our bedroom, give the spy-like silent gesture to my husband to meet them in the kitchen, before tip-toeing down the stairs. I pretend to be in a deep sleep, and stay in bed.
Much clammoring and crashing later, The three men in my life boldly walk up the stairs, tray in hand, and announce "Happy Mothers Day!" in their happiest voices.
I jump up...completely shocked, prop myself up with my pillows, open my hand-made gifts (this year it was a clay pinch pot and styrofoam cup vase with a paper flower sticking out the top), and watch as my sweet boys eat my entire tray of breakfast themselves. It's happened every year for eight years, and I would not change a thing. My husband and I just sit back and enjoy the bed full of crumbs, jelly stained sheets, and the unavoidable OJ spill. And we know in a month, the same thing will take place with my husband in the place of honor.

1 Comments:

Blogger June Sinclair said...

This one made me laugh out loud. How did you get so smart at such a young age? Here's to crumbs, stains and precious sons!!

5:28 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home